The Jiaozi is the traditional food well received by Chinese people. It is a kind of very yummy food. The Jiaozi is the essential food in Chinese New Year.
1 pound flour
10 ounce pork
1/2 pound Chinese cabbage, finely chopped, mixed with 1 tablespoon salad oil to coat
3 cups cold water
Wet ingredients: 1/2 tablespoon wine, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 3 tablespoons salad oil, and 1/2tablespoon sesame oil
Spices and flavorings: 2 ounces minced green onion, I ounce minced ginger, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon powdered chicken bouillon
To make the dough:
1. Mix flour with cold water in a food processor until it forms tiny and moist pieces.
2. Place the flour mixture in a bowl and knead until dough forms. Cover bowl with plastic wrap to prevent drying.
To make the stuffing:
1. Mix pork with wet ingredients and stir in one direction until sticky.
2. Add spices and flavorings, and stir again in the same direction until blended.
3. Add cabbage and stir in the same direction until mixed evenly.
To make the Jiaozi:
1. Knead and roll a piece of dough into a log shape, about half an inch in diameter.
2. Cut the log-shaped dough into pieces about a square inch or smaller. Flatten the pieces with a rolling pin to form a thin circle 1.5 inches in diameter.
3. Place 1/2 teaspoon stuffing (add more as you perfect your skills) in the center of each circle, fold in half, and press the edges together with your fingers until they are tightly sealed.
To cook the Jiaozi:
1. Boil water and drop in the Jiaozi one at a time. Stir gently to separate them.
2. Return to a boil and add 1 cup cold water. Do this twice more, then remove the jiaozi from the water and drain.
Tips: Some Chinese use a concoction of vinegar, soy sauce, garlic juice, chili sauce, and sesame oil as the sauce.