Yuanxiao is also named as Tangyuan, rice glue ball, sweet soup balls or rice ball. It is a traditional food for the Lantern Festival on the fifteenth day of the first Chinese lunar month, which is generally considered the end of the Chinese New Year season. The word Yuanxiao means “eve of the first day” and its round shape is symbolic of family reunion, a major theme of the Chinese New Year.
1 package glutinous rice powder (about 1 pound)
1 cup hot water
4 ounce Chinese date paste or red bean paste or sesame paste
2 cups cooking oil
1 ounce sugar
1. Mix rice powder and water to form dough.
2. Add sugar into date paste or red bean paste or sesame paste and stir evenly.
3. Shape date or bean paste or sesame paste into 20 portions.
4. Knead dough gently and roll into a log about 1 inch in diameter; divide into 20 slices.
5. Press each piece of dough at the center to make a hollow and place a portion of paste in it.
6. Gently press the dough to close it and shape it into a ball (the Yuanxiao).
7. Boil Yuanxiao in a pot. Serve warm!